Monday, October 6, 2014

Today's Tip: Stop Thinking & Start Doing!

Are you a thinker?  Do you ever think something through so much that you end up talking yourself out of doing it?  Now I'm not saying you should quit using your brain!  There are times we should think long and hard before making a decision or else we jump into something we aren't prepared for.  But what I am suggesting you ask yourself is this:

1) Do you ever sit and think about all the ways a particular plan could go wrong to the point that you convince yourself NOT to do it?

OR

2) Have you ever put something off over and over again because you weren't confident that you would succeed?

Don't let THINKING keep you from doing something that is good for you...like starting a workout program or a healthier daily diet.

I've heard it before..."But Jen, I've tried to lose weight and eat better.  I always fail and it's not worth the effort to start again knowing I won't stick to it."

Really?  I mean, if your kid told you "but mom, I've tried to brush my teeth every day. I always forget and so I'm not going to do it since I won't stick to it", would you let him/her quit brushing?  Nope. You'd spend some time with that kid and show them how to do it well.   You might even buy him or her a fun toothbrush, or a timer they can set to help them brush longer.  Bottom line, you help them make a plan to succeed and you wouldn't give up. I have an anti-tooth brusher, and have tried many tricks to get this child to brush regularly.  I'm still working on it, but I'm not giving up just because the first few plans failed to kick his brushing habit into gear.

Just like some kids can't develop a tooth brushing system on their own and need help, maybe you need help with your fitness program.  Don't give up because you aren't sure you will succeed - find a partner to help keep you accountable.  Ask others what workout programs they like and try one of those.  Find someone to help you put together a meal plan or ask your friends where they find their healthy, family-friendly recipes.  Don't quit because you MIGHT fail or skip a day.  Make a plan and get STARTED.  You will never succeed unless you start.

My advice to you today?  It's the same thing I tell my kids regularly: "Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you are probably right."  Call me if you need a kick in the pants.  Whether you live near or far, I can probably figure out a way to help! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment