Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Today's Tip: Don't Miss This Breakfast Recipe: PANCAKES!

So this morning I made pancakes for the kids' breakfast - a recipe I've used before but today I had to substitute Almond Milk for milk because we were out (yes, out of milk - how did that happen?).  Apparently that was a smart move because while they ate (seconds and thirds!), and as they were clearing the table and putting their syrup-y plates in the dishwasher, they kept telling me how good they were.  Peyton even commented, "these are the best pancakes you've ever made!" This made my day because I don't know about you, but after going to the trouble to make something from scratch, to have the family tell me they "love" something I had to grab from the freezer is a bit disheartening!  Right? :)

Anyway, here's the recipe from my good ole' Ultimate Southern Living cookbook.  I think I got it at a party that my friend Kathryn Whitaker held in Indiana years ago! 

Buttermilk Pancakes (or Almond Milk Pancakes, in this case!)

2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 1/2 cups Better for Bread flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbl pure cane sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk or 35-calorie Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 cup plain applesauce

Combine first 5 ingredients; stir well. Combine eggs, milk, and applesauce in a bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. 

Cook on a lightly greased griddle or large pan. Serve with low sugar syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment