Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Today's Tip: How to Sneak in More VEGGIES!

I get asked the question a LOT - "how do I get my family to eat more vegetables?"

Well, I will never argue against serving a dish of steamed broccoli or roasted asparagus alongside your grilled sirloin, but sneaking them into your main dish can boost the benefits of those veggies.  Produce bulks up main dishes and adds filling fiber, so you feel more satisfied from your meal.

One of my favorites is adding shredded or diced zucchini to meatloaf, lasagna or spaghetti meat sauce, and I’ve also been known to throw shredded carrot & diced bell pepper in as well.  And how about the new trend of serving cooked, pureed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes or adding some to macaroni and cheese? 
And don't forget about breakfast. If your kids like breakfast burritos or scrambled eggs, I add shredded veggies and a little extra cheese to "make up" for it.  My kids pretty much eat anything wrapped up in a tortilla...I even give in every once in awhile and let them have white tortillas :).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment