Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Today's Tip: Do you use this spice? Rosemary

I use a lot of different spices to flavor foods, but I have a couple of favorites, and one of those is Rosemary.  I have always used it because I love the flavor, but recently I read another benefit of including rosemary in my recipes.

We grill or saute most of our foods, and while both cooking methods require little to no added fat, some studies have shown that cooking at high temps can produce compounds called heterocyclic amines, which are harmful free radicals that may cause cancer.  That's where rosemary comes in...marinating meats in a mixture made with rosemary before firing it up prevents the formation of these amines by as much as 84%. 

Some ideas:
  • Combine two tablespoons of olive or grapeseed oil; one-half cup of lemon juice; half a garlic clove, minced; and one tablespoon of rosemary to make a marinade for chicken or steak.
  • Mix together equal parts rosemary, thyme, and oregano, and rub the mixture directly onto chicken breasts or sirloin.
And, it's easy to grow in an herb garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment