Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Today's Tip: Is Gatorade Really Necessary?

For those of you who know me, this is one of my pet peeves. For some time I have believed that Gatorade or other sports drinks are not necessary for kids or many adults - even full-time athletes. As my kids have gotten older I cannot go to any sporting event, school activity or even pick them up after school without seeing dozens of kids drinking Gatorade or other sports drink - many of whom are not exercising or in a workout. There is no debating that sports drinks are a booming business, thanks to the power of advertising...and kudos to Gatorade for their creativity and marketing expertise. But, is this beverage necessary for children?

I decided to do some research and see if this was all my own personal opinion, or if there was some science behind what kids and athletes need to refuel. Here are some thoughts from doctors who serve on the Medical Advisory Board of KidsGrowth.com.

"First of all, what is in a sports drink? They basically are expensive diluted soft drinks. They do contain significant carbohydrates (about 60 calories per cup), but little sodium or potassium, and generally have little other nutritional value.

Sports drinks do have a place, however, but only when participating in a high-intensity endurance event that lasts longer than 90 minutes, like a marathon or triathlon. For most children, therefore, a sports drink is really not necessary, especially as a fluid replacement at home.

There are three major drawbacks to the continual use of sports drinks. The first is obesity since these drinks are rich in carbohydrates (that is why they taste so good). The second is drinking too many sports drinks can erode the teeth due to the acidity - not the sugar. And third, sports drinks are more expensive than the best fluid replacement of them all - water.

Yes, plain cool water is the fluid of choice when exercise does not last longer than 60 to 90 minutes. And that includes most situations, even a tough practice session, a hard-fought football game, or a track meet. You don't need an energy source in the fluid you drink to rehydrate. Sports drinks should be reserved for those individuals who exercise continuously for more than 90 minutes or have heavy sweat losses."

I went to at least four different websites and also spoke to different people involved in the medical and dental fields to check the information. All mentioned the same statistic about not needing anything other than water if you are not exercising longer than 60-90 minutes. But don't just take my word for it - check with your doctor, your child's pediatrician and/or dentist for their thoughts on the subject.
 
Here's a little story from a dental assistant: "I remember a patient who was coming in quite often for LOTS of fillings. He never used to get them so it was puzzling. I started asking questions: Are you chewing gum all day with sugar in it? Lots of mints (with sugar)? Popping hard candies (Werthers)? Drinking coffee with the added creams, sugars, etc? All NO until we asked if he was sipping on sugary drinks throughout the day and BiNGO! He said, Gatorade! He got a job sitting in front of the computer and had it next to him most everyday. He put an end to that!"

Now I realize that sometimes it's nice to have an alternative to water. So tomorrow I will post some healthy "make at home" sports drink recipes that are easy, taste good and good for you!

As a reminder, this information should not be relied on as medical advice and is not intended to replace the advice of your child’s pediatrician.

1 comment:

  1. TOTALLY AGREE! As an endurance athlete I learned about Gatorade the hard way. At the end of one of my first 20 mile runs I could barely walk. I had run the 20 miles fine but when I stopped running I realized I could barely walk. I called my endurance friends and quickly learned why.... I'd lost my electrolytes because I didn't replenish them during my run and my body was shutting down. Certain endurance Gatorade products are a great source of electrolytes - sodium and potassium. So I added Gatorade to my long runs and no more problems. BUT.... I was running 10, 15, 20 miles and more and one time. That's what Gatorade is good for. So Gatorade has it's place... but definitely not a regular drink! THANKS JEN!!!

    ReplyDelete