Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Today's Tip: A good rule of thumb for SUGAR...

I've said this before...too much sugar has HUGE negative impact on the body.  However!  This doesn't mean you should do what I did a few years ago - replace as much sugar as possible with artificial sweeteners. I was all about using Splenda or other sweeteners, and I didn't even glance at the ingredients list of a product as long as it said "sugar free". 

With so many companies producing "sugar free" foods & drinks people are convinced that is the simple answer to reducing sugar in their diet. But as I learned and I hope you will too, sugar free doesn't = problem free.  Artificial sweeteners and diet drinks are just not the right choice either.  I do believe that natural sweeteners such as Truvia and others that use stevia extract are good choices, however.  I even used the Truvia baking blend the other day in my specialty - Texas Sheet Cake - and I had more compliments on that batch than I have had when using all white sugar!

So what is the best answer??  Here's a thought: treat sugary drinks as a SPECIAL TREAT, not as a regular part of your daily diet...like a coke at the movies, or when you go out for pizza. Everything in moderation is a great rule of thumb. Even I treat myself to some Skittles on my free day :). 

2 comments:

  1. So, what are your thoughts on natural sweeteners like local honey (either from someone else or your own) and maple syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think honey, agave syrup, etc. are all good. It's still a moderation thing because honey does have a lot of sugar in it. However, that being said, local honey can be a great allergy booster. With Trace having allergies, we have even given him a teaspoon of straight honey every day!

      It's still really all about moderation...sometimes we overestimate how much of a substance we need so I just encourage people to watch their portion sizes of whatever they are using.

      Delete