Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Today's Tip: Keeping Avocadoes Green! And a Guacamole recipe you'll love...

Growing up I was never a fan of avocados.  I just didn't care for the taste or texture, not to mention that in Dalhart, Texas there weren't a plethora of this particular food at the local IGA! However, as I learned more about nutrition as an adult, I realized the HUGE benefit of avocados, and they now have become a staple in my diet.  

So you hear all the time how avocados contain one of the best flab-fighting fats, but because of it's dense nature, you really shouldn't eat an entire avocado in one sitting. Really, just 1/2 of this fruit (yes, it's technically a fruit) a day is ample. So then the question becomes, how do you keep that leftover avocado from turning brown?

Other than adding a little lemon juice and keeping the seed in the container where I store my leftover avocado, I really didn't know any great tips.  So I looked up some information from a trainer that I follow, and here's what I learned!

First I learned exactly why avocados turn brown.  Like apples or potatoes, they oxidize when exposed to air.  Good to know.  So basically once you cut into an avocado, you'll never be able to completely stop the oxidation process. However!  I learned that you can dramatically slow it with a few quick tips and tricks:

1. Cut the avocado with a ceramic or plastic knife.  Metal actually accelerates the oxidation process. (I've always used a metal knife so good tip #1.)

2. Try lemon or lime juice. Citric acid is a powerful antioxidant; rub a little juice around the exposed flesh and you'll significantly delay the browning effect. (I got that one right!)

3. No lemon or lime? Use oil. Oil is another great buffer to oxygen. Use in place of lemon or lime juice when you don't have any handy. (Another good tip - hadn't thought of that one.)

4. Store as air-tight as possible. Again, avocados turn brown due to oxidation and exposure to air, so storing in an air-tight container only makes sense. (I usually do that so another point for me.)

5. Water. Huh? That's right! This one works exceptionally well for guacamole. Place your leftover guac in a plastic container and press down to remove any air pockets. Add a half inch of water on top and seal with an air-tight lid. The water creates a barrier between the avocado and the air, keeping your guacamole fresh and 100% green for 24 hours or more!  When ready to eat some more, just drain the excess water and enjoy.  Works like a charm! (I'll have to try this one - hmmm...)


So there you go!  A few tips to help keep that avocado a nice green color, as opposed to the yucky brown that often greets me the next day when I open the container.  And if you are looking for a great guacamole recipe, try this one.  It's simple, easy to prepare and really, really good!


Guacamole
(from the Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook)

3 ripe avocados
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 Tbl finely chopped onion
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (I usually use about half the seeds)
1 T lemon or lime juice
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
Chopped cilantro (optional)

Cut each avocado in half, remove seed. Scoop out avocado pulp into a large bowl. Mash to desired consistency. Add chopped tomato and next 4 ingredients to bowl; stir until avocado mixture is blended. Top with black pepper and cilantro, if using. Chill for a couple of hours or serve right away.

Makes 2 1/2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment